Saturday, January 14, 2012

Pop Culture Remix

Mermaids go through puberty too . . . SIGHHH >_<
Mostly everyone knows who the little mermaid is.  Thanks to Disney, the little mermaid has been canonized and is a common household item.  However, there is another story.  In the original Hans Christian Andersen fairytale, the little mermaid chooses death over her own life. (T_T)

There have been many renditions of both animated and live action films (I found a nifty Russian version).

Personally I grew up having watched the Japanese animated version, which I adore.  Though oddly enough Marina (the little mermaid) is blond haired and blue eyed.

During one part of the anime, Marina starts busting into song, one in particular, her "coming of age song" I find cheesy yet entrancing.  Lyrics below, my comments in red.

" When a mermaid comes of age she begins a different kind of life (you start laying eggs everywhere)
Childish games are left far behind, she prepares to be a bride (that's all you did back then)
Her schooldays are in the past now, her heart becomes her new guide
(books underwater?)
It will portal the way to love eternal

Wisdom only comes with time
The road to love is paved with broken hearts
(it's pure carnage, don't do it)
If I am to reach my goal, I must stake everything
In my true destiny, no matter what the price
(is it possible to rent?)

Far away I hear the call of the heart that sings a song like mine
(you should stop doing drugs)
It's melody draws near and suddenly we're in perfect harmony (or you're tone deaf)
I know it beckons to me from the land that's not from the sea (yeah, stop with the drugs)
Yet I know I must follow wherever it leads me (way to be a sheep)

Wisdom only comes with time
(hey I'm pretty sure you sang this already)
The road to love is paved with broken hearts
If I am to reach my goal, I must stake everything
In my true destiny, no matter what the price"--Lil' M

No comments:

Post a Comment

Coffee, Tea, Suggestions?